Sunday, June 01, 2008

Please pray for Maguire!

I think we're out of the worst now, but I would love any prayers for Maguire that you're willing to offer! Maguire has always had really sensitive skin--diaper rashes that would bleed, rashes other places...stuff like that. Unfortunately, he gets that from me. Sorry Buddy! Anyway, last weekend he got a mosquito bite on his forehead that swelled up like he had a golf ball under his skin! It was somewhat close to his eye, but a friend of ours checked his pupils and they seemed fine, so we gave him some Benedryl and put him to bed. The next morning it looked like any old bug bite. Didn't think much else about it except that we figured we'd better be extra careful about making sure he's got bug spray/lotion on. We live near a narrow/slow part of a river = breeding ground for mosquitos. Friday night I took the kids outside for a bit and was sure to put some deet-free bug lotion on Mac. Well, he got bit anyway! He woke up this morning with some pretty good swelling above his other eye. Still just thought he was a kid who just reacts badly to bug bites. All the neighbors were out today and looking at it. Later, I gave him some Benedryl and put him down for his nap. When he got up the swelling was worse. His eye was about half swollen shut and the swelling had moved down his face. After dinner I ran into a neighbor who'd seen him earlier. She commented that he looked worse and that I should probably get him in to a doctor soon or take him to the ER or something. Good thing she pushed me! I told Kyle that I thought we should take him in to the ER. Kyle ended up taking him while I ran some errands with Ashlyn. At first the nurse just gave Mac some Tylenol because he was running a slight fever when he came in. Kyle said the swelling was already starting to go down and why hadn't I thought to give him Tylenol? Well...I don't know. My one-track-mind was only thinking Benedryl! So...I got home, put Ashlyn to bed (way late, which she loved!) and came downstairs to a text from Kyle that Maguire was going to have a CT Scan! What?! Then I picked up a voicemail message from him saying that I should get a neighbor to come stay with Ashlyn so that I could come to the hospital. Fortunately we're BLESSED with the most fabulous neighbors! I hurried downtown to the hospital and made my way back to radiology when Maguire was wrapped in a "papoose", which is a board with major swaddling capabilities! Wow...NOT a fun sight to see your child all wrapped up except for his little arm with an IV in it sticking out. He was freaking out! They had given him Benedryl to try to make him sleepy, but that didn't do jack! They didn't want to sedate him for various reasons, but I was sort of hoping they'd do it and just get the scan over with. Eventually they did. It took twice the normal amount for a child his size! And even then he was only out JUST long enough to take the scan--maybe a minute or two. Then he was kicking, screaming, arching his back, flailing his arms, biting at the tape holding his IV in place. That was even tougher than the earlier sight! We could do nothing to calm him down for about a half hour or more. Finally, the weirdest thing calmed him down. A doctor came in to look in Mac's ears. We were bracing ourselves (and Maguire) for a continued tantrum, but he calmed right down when the doc looked in his ears. After that he was mostly ok, but getting antsy. Eventually Kyle went to the van to get the DVD player. That worked wonders! Mac actually started smiling and giggling again. He even started to eat and drink! Meanwhile, we learned that our pediatrician had been contacted and she wanted Mac to be admitted. The official report on scan came back favorably--there was no spreading of the infection to the sinuses or behind his eye. They just want to monitor him through the night and continue administering antibiotics. Kyle is there with him right now and I'll be heading to bed soon.
Thank you SO MUCH to those of you who were praying with us through it all! I just wanted to quick (was this quick?!) update everyone and ask for continued prayers that things will continue to get better. When I left Kyle and Maguire, Mac was running all around his hospital room, intrigued by all the equipment and already charming the nurses :) That's the Buddy Boy I know and adore!
Don't worry...I'll post more tomorrow, including pictures (I know--this is what I was talking about, Erin! LOL!).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!!
So glad to hear that he is going to be okay.. but what a trying time for all!

Elizabeth Joy said...

Praying Abby, so glad you guys took him in... I was praying last night due to the facebook status, thanks for the update. Let me know if there's anything I can do. Love you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Please keep us posted. I am so glad he is doing okay now...Loveya....Tania

ZFam said...

oh wow...what an awful situation! I'm glad he's doing okay! Definitely will pray! Keep us posted!

Ben and Erin said...

We are praying for Maguire. I'm anxious to hear what they say. Glad things are positive so far! You are so funny about pictures Abby. I laughed when I read the end of your post. :) I'm happy to say Clare is doing better, thanks for your prayers. It's a blessing we have friends to do that for us and a God who takes care of, and protects our babies! :)

Anonymous said...

i had no idea...

praying for you and family!


calvin