Over SuperBowl weekend my parents took us up north to Crystal Mountain to go skiing. I have to admit, my expectations for the kids skiing--and even enjoying themselves--were pretty low. Turns out, I was completely off! The kids had an absolute BLAST! I think my dad was mostly excited to ski with Ashlyn (probably because he figured she had the best shot at actually doing some real skiing), but it was quickly apparent that Maguire is the true "Ski Buddy" between the two of them. Don't get me wrong--Ashlyn did really well and had a great time, but Mac was a crazy boy! He could NOT get enough!
We started the day out by renting equipment (it had been at least 10 years since I last skied and I have no idea where my skis/poles/boots are!). Who knew they had such tiny skis and ski boots?! Too cute! The other cool thing that has changed since I've been to Crystal last is that there's no more tow-rope. It's a "magic carpet"--a rubber moving sidewalk type of thing. So cool! After a few trips down the bunny hill, Maguire started pointing to the next slope over (a black diamond!), saying he wanted to "go down that hill!" The other thing the kids were anxious to do was go on the chair lift. I was pretty nervous, but they did great! They loved it! My dad took Maguire over a few mogul-ettes (baby moguls). He kept asking for "more jumps!" After lunch and hot chocolate/coffee in the lodge, I wasn't sure Ashlyn would be up for more skiing, but she told me she wanted to go up/down "four more times". She kept track and stuck to her 4 times :) I was so bummed that we forgot our video camera. Ashlyn might have cheerleading in her future. She'd get to the bottom before everyone else and then cheer for each of us as we came down ("Go Mommy! Go Mommy!"). At one point she got brave and pushed off toward the chair lift on her own. I'll admit, I freaked out a bit, but she was ok :) We were all getting cold and decided to take a few more trips down the bunny hill to finish out the day. Just as I was ready to head back in I got the most wicked migraine that I've ever gotten. Luckily the lodge carried Excedrin Migraine. As I was on my way to get the Excedrin I saw Kyle, my dad and Maguire coming in to the ski rental place. Maguire had insisted on carrying his own skis--while walking in his ski boots--like the big boys! I tried to take them for him once he got inside, but he grunted and pushed me aside. Such an independent 2-year-old.
Overall the weekend FAR and AWAY exceeded my expectations! The condo we stayed in was perfect--plenty of room for all of us (thanks to some of my parents' friends) with a gigantic whirpool tub for the kids to play in. Even though it's been more than a month since we went skiing, Ash and Mac still talk--very often--about going skiing. Anytime it snows, they want to go skiing. If the cold weather sticks around, we might just have to take them to Cannonsburg, just down the road.

Thanks, Mimia and Papa (my parents) for such a FUN weekend! It was the best!!
We started the day out by renting equipment (it had been at least 10 years since I last skied and I have no idea where my skis/poles/boots are!). Who knew they had such tiny skis and ski boots?! Too cute! The other cool thing that has changed since I've been to Crystal last is that there's no more tow-rope. It's a "magic carpet"--a rubber moving sidewalk type of thing. So cool! After a few trips down the bunny hill, Maguire started pointing to the next slope over (a black diamond!), saying he wanted to "go down that hill!" The other thing the kids were anxious to do was go on the chair lift. I was pretty nervous, but they did great! They loved it! My dad took Maguire over a few mogul-ettes (baby moguls). He kept asking for "more jumps!" After lunch and hot chocolate/coffee in the lodge, I wasn't sure Ashlyn would be up for more skiing, but she told me she wanted to go up/down "four more times". She kept track and stuck to her 4 times :) I was so bummed that we forgot our video camera. Ashlyn might have cheerleading in her future. She'd get to the bottom before everyone else and then cheer for each of us as we came down ("Go Mommy! Go Mommy!"). At one point she got brave and pushed off toward the chair lift on her own. I'll admit, I freaked out a bit, but she was ok :) We were all getting cold and decided to take a few more trips down the bunny hill to finish out the day. Just as I was ready to head back in I got the most wicked migraine that I've ever gotten. Luckily the lodge carried Excedrin Migraine. As I was on my way to get the Excedrin I saw Kyle, my dad and Maguire coming in to the ski rental place. Maguire had insisted on carrying his own skis--while walking in his ski boots--like the big boys! I tried to take them for him once he got inside, but he grunted and pushed me aside. Such an independent 2-year-old.
Overall the weekend FAR and AWAY exceeded my expectations! The condo we stayed in was perfect--plenty of room for all of us (thanks to some of my parents' friends) with a gigantic whirpool tub for the kids to play in. Even though it's been more than a month since we went skiing, Ash and Mac still talk--very often--about going skiing. Anytime it snows, they want to go skiing. If the cold weather sticks around, we might just have to take them to Cannonsburg, just down the road.

Thanks, Mimia and Papa (my parents) for such a FUN weekend! It was the best!!

No comments:
Post a Comment