Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Garbage Trucks and Mismatched Footwear

My kids have developed supersonic ears for certain truck sounds. One has probably been fostered by my own love of the mail truck. I love getting mail! I can be upstairs on the opposite side of the house and be able to hear the mail truck! We also have a very sweet mail carrier--Margaret. The kids love to wave to her and they get especially excited (as do I!) when we get a package. Another truck sound is, I'm sure, near and dear to most kids' hearts--the ice cream truck! When I take Maguire with me to the grocery store (I typically go after they're in bed so I can shop in peace) I "bribe" him with a HotWheels car for $0.97. He gets to pick one out at the beginning of the trip, but he can't open it. If he's good--we buy it. If he's not--we don't. Yes, I'm not ashamed to admit I use bribes! Anyway, the last time we went to Meijer for groceries he picked out an ice cream truck Hot Wheel! Who knew they even made ice cream trucks?! And this brings me to the last exciting truck sound--the GARBAGE TRUCK! Both kids just LOVE to watch the garbage truck pick up our big trash can on wheels, hook it to the "thing" (very technical term, I know) and watch it get lifted up to dump all our garbage out. Maguire always reminds me that the garbage truck takes away his "wee-wee". Yes, yes Maguire...thank GOODNESS the garbage truck takes away your stinky diapers! But don't you think the nice garbage man would really appreciate it if you would get potty trained so he didn't have to take away your yucky stinkies?? {sigh} I didn't think so...

Maguire is fully entrenched in expressing his independence these days. He knows that he needs to have shoes on to go outside and he LOVES to be outside. Don't even try to help him find shoes that actually match! Sometimes I think he gets mismatched shoes on purpose! He basically rejects any shoes I try to give him. Maybe it's time to try some reverse psychology in him (being that I have a MA in psychology, you'd think I'd have thought of that already!). Oh, and nevermind the fact that he doesn't have any pants on! Shoes...that's the only requirement, right? ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that last one has "blackmail" written all over it... do guard it with your life, that it might not fall into the wrong hands. ;)

calvin