Thursday, September 03, 2009

Always be prepared to give an answer...

...to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect... (1 Peter 3:15)

Maguire spends his day asking WHY? Honestly, it's exhausting and I often find myself getting frustrated when he takes one sentence from me and turns it into a series of 5+ "why" questions. For example:
ME: Maguire, please put your shoes on.
MAGUIRE: Why?
ME: So we can go to Meijer.
MAGUIRE: Why?
ME: Because you have to have shoes on in the store.
MAGUIRE: Why?
ME: So your feet don't get dirty or hurt.
MAGUIRE: Why?
ME: (getting frustrated) {sigh} Because it's the rule of the store--you have to have shoes on.
MAGUIRE: (you guessed it) Why?
ME: Why not?
MAGUIRE: I don't know.
ME: (wondering WHY I haven't learned yet to use that answer first!)

I love how curious Maguire is and I believe that a lot of the time he's sincere in his questioning, but I often wonder if he's asking "why?" just to ask "why?". I know it's typical, but I never went through this with Ashlyn. If she asked "why?", we gave her one answer and she was satisfied.

I will say that all of this is making me think twice about the answers I give him. It also makes me think twice about what 1Peter 3:15 is talking about. Am I prepared with answers for people who question the hope I have in Christ? Am I prepared to answer with gentleness and respect...and confidence? Do I answer Maguire's questions with gentleness and respect...and patience?? I think I have a little more preparation ahead of me :)

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Great reminder from a great mommy. :) Praying that His mercies that are new every morning include an extra measure of patience for you (and of course, me too) right now!

Courtney said...

Great thought process, Abby...I always appreciate encouragement from other moms when it comes to daily challenges. thanks for your perspective :)

brianandcourt said...

I hear you, friend. Makenna is my why-kid. Why, What Happened, and any other similar phrase... and I'm not always patient, especially on question #436 before lunch. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

i remember that phase all too well.

calvin