Saturday, October 03, 2009

Moms & Kids Camp

My uncle is the director of a YMCA camp in western Michigan and he invited Ashlyn and me to come to their Moms & Kids Camp weekend this summer.  I'm SO glad that we took him up on his offer!  We had a BLAST! 

My cousin and her twins were going to join us, but not until Saturday morning.  So Ashlyn and I had fun doing crafts (a girl after my own heart!), lounging in one of the many hammocks, and enjoying s'mores and songs at the campfire.  The camp was having a dedication service for a new cabin and another building Saturday morning and my dad surprised us by biking up for it.  It was truly a surprise--Ash and I were walking up toward the dining hall from the craft shack and I saw someone coming toward us.  I thought, "That's weird, uncle Bruce changed into biking gear for the ceremony?"  Then I realized it was my dad!  My dad and his brothers look so much alike that my mistake wasn't that far off :)  Ashlyn was so thrilled to see Papa--she recognized him before I did and took off running for him!


Once my cousin, Jen, and her twins, Anna & Alex, arrived, we got right into our swimsuits and headed for the lakefront.  We had fun swimming, building sandcastles and riding in the paddle boat.  The girls thought it was pretty cool to pick the flowers off the lillypads.  Too cute!


After swimming and a story ("Fancy Nancy") read by Auntie Jen, the kids were hungry and dinner wasn't for a few more hours, so we headed into town in search of a snack.  We found an ice cream place that had a playground--perfect!  There was also a field of tall grasses that we had fun running through and pretending that we were "Going on a Bear Hunt".  Once we got back, the kids got to make rain sticks.  They were all digging the crafts that weekend! 


After dinner we took a long walk (on accident--we got lost trying to find the horses) and then got to ride the horses.  I was shocked when Ashlyn stepped right up and offered to go first!  She's not what you'd call an animal lover--she doesn't even really like dogs.  But she got right on and did great!
We had so much fun spending time at Camp Pendalouan with Auntie Jen, Anna & Alex!  I can't wait to go back again next year!
P.S. If you're in the area, you should totally check it out for next summer too!

No comments: