So, I'm a little weird about our family traditions. I absolutely LOVE creating and sustaining traditions with our family of four (as well as traditions with our extended families)...to the point that they end up a tad sacred to me and maybe a little annoying to Kyle ;) When I was growing up we had an artificial Christmas tree. I vividly remember setting it up and decorating it while listening to Amy Grant Christmas music (which I still maintain is the best Christmas music ever!). Great memories, but when Kyle and I got married we decided that we were going to be a cut-our-own-real-tree family. We bought the expensive--and often frustratingly complicated--tree stand to seal our decision. The part of this that sometimes annoys Kyle a bit is that I have to wait until there is actually a good amount of snow on the ground before getting our tree. He'd just as soon get it the weekend after Thanksgiving. Oh yeah, the other thing is that I don't like going on the weekends. When Kyle worked for the church, he had Mondays off, giving us the perfect crowd-free time to get our pumpkins, Christmas trees, etc. I was spoiled and now don't like fighting the crowds to get our tree. After the first good snowfall in December I was SET on getting our tree. We weren't able to get out to the lot until 5:30ish and it started getting dark...and inevitably colder. We took the "hair ride" (as Maguire called it--AKA hay ride) out to the Fraser Fir section of the lot and began our search. Even in the biting cold and growing darkness we had fun finding the "perfect" tree.
On the hunt
Ashlyn really wanted this tree. "It's just my size!"
In front of our final selection
Maguire supervising the cutting of the tree
Another "tradition" dating back to when Kyle was growing up - "TIMBER!"
Waiting for the "Hair Ride" to come back for us, Ash got tired and decided to make a snow bed, silly girl!
The boys
The girls
Untying the tree
Silly kiddos!
Mama reindeer and my little snowman
Thanks, Kyle, for putting up with my stringency with our traditions...there's nobody I'd rather create or carry out family traditions with!

No comments:
Post a Comment