Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My little girl is growing up!


Wow...I'm a little overcome with emotion this morning. A few minutes ago I went out to get the mail to find the usual--junk mail, bills, the community newspaper...and then there it was, a large white envelope. Addressed to me and Kyle from St. Peter's Lutheran Preschool. Inside I found the parent letter, final forms to fill out, SCRIP tuition information and--the one that got me--the school calendar. I don't know why the calendar is what got me, but just seeing actual dates makes it official--Ashlyn is growing up! She's no longer just my little girl, hanging around the house, playing outside, going to the museum and library with no real schedule to follow besides Maguire's nap schedule. She's going to SCHOOL in the fall! I'm so excited for her. She's going to love it--she does really well in structured learning environments as we've seen in Sunday School, library story time and other things like that. My neighbor, Kristi (Elizabeth's mom), and I checked this preschool out last winter and we're really happy with it. It's a Christian preschool, which I love. The girls will get "chapel" once a week and "Jesus Songs" the other day of the week :) Looking over the calendar I'm excited about things like school pictures (!!!), Grandfriends Day (?? I'm guessing they don't want to leave anyone out whose grandparents might not be alive or around??), Christmas parties, Dad's Night, Carnival, Easter parties, Mom's Tea and class picnics. I'm exited, too about the teacher making a home visit in August. How cool is that?? The teachers all visit each of their students at home before school starts!
I know, come September, I'll have very mixed emotions about Ashlyn starting preschool. I think it's going to be so good for her and she'll love it. I'm excited for her to learn and grow and make new friends. But this all means--again--that my little sweetie girl isn't so little anymore.

8 comments:

SoulTattoo said...

Abby - Time flies by so incredibly fast... Braxton is 10 and Gracie 9 - I feel like they were just starting preschool. Enjoy the blessing! ~Tirza

Lee Anne said...

I remember all those feelings before Brayden went to preschool! Now that he's on summer break I have to get used to having him home again! It's so fun watching them grow up!

Angela said...

It's amazing how fast time flies by...Just amazing. You don't really realize it until you have your own kids. I think that's why I am such a nut about writing everything down, everyday...

I really missed you on Saturday! Wasn't the same without you there!

When you have a minute, would you teach me how to do the photo collage (like on Holy Craft). Thanks girl!

The Moser Fam... said...

I hear ya on this one! Sorry you are sad! She will do great and hopefully you will love watching her excel in preschool! :) I think I may have missed the cutoff for signing Ben up for preschool...oops! I was debating on whether to send him this year or next year though. Ben is just the opposite of Ashlyn...he doesn't do as well in structured settings. He is used to one-on-one attention every day from me or grandmas and I need to get him around other kids and in a more structured environment. Which is precisely the reason I should probably get him into preschool! I've also been thinking of putting him in AWANA...are you familiar with this? (Sorry for rambling!)

Ben and Erin said...

She is just a beautiful little girl, yes still little. :) She'll always be that to you, I know. What an exciting day for your family and Ashlyn for next year! I can't even imagine that day with Clare, but I know it'll be here all to soon. The preschool sounds awesome and a great place for her to spend days. :)

ZFam said...

Yikes...I feel like Ashlyn is only a small step in front of Alexa...they are growing up too fast...but, it's still so fun to watch them grow into the beautiful women that they'll become!

Jim, Abby, Jacob, and Bryce Stewart said...

Congrats... but it just seems to go so fast. Pre-school will be great for her and for you though. Don't feel bad, she isn't moving off to college just yet. Have a good week-

Christina said...

hi! i do remember you! i always enjoy another blog to check out! i am dragging my heals on potty training. it just doesn't excite me at all. but the diaper removals by makenna are becoming too much!