Don't let Kyle or my 4-year-old neighbor, Payton, tell you any different! Yes, I am storing up food for the winter. Last fall I canned tomatoes with my grandma (and loved it!) and this year I've canned peaches and frozen away corn and blueberries. Still to come this fall will be more tomatoes and applesauce.
My neighbor, Carol, cans just about anything she can pick. I was hanging out in their garage one evening and smelled the fabulous smell of bushels of peaches ripening. She and I started talking about canning and I decided I'd like to try it. A few days later she and I--along with two of her kids and her niece, Ashlyn and Maguire--went peach picking at a local orchard. I took home a whole bushel for less than $20! Then, the following weekend Carol and I spent almost an entire Saturday canning my peaches. So sweet of her to take that much time to teach me how to do it and let me use her canner. I ended up with 8 quart jars of peaches and 8 jars of jam. Mmmm! Of course, before canning them, I used some of the fresh peaches and made the most delicious fresh peach pie I've ever tasted...if I do say so myself ;) I can't wait to make another one!
Kyle claimed he didn't like peaches, but while feeding some to Maguire (who goes crazy for them!), he decided to be a "big boy" and try one...which led to another...which led to another. Guess he likes them! He's growing up ;)
I've always loved when Carol brings me a meal (for having a baby, because they have "extra", or whatever reason) because it usually includes her homemade applesauce. I'm not a huge fan of store bought applesauce--it's a texture thing for me. But homemade chunky applesauce is SO good! Well, this fall we're going to pick our own apples and then I'll spend another day with Carol making applesauce! So looking forward to it :)
I never thought I'd be a "canner", but it feels so good to have the finished product to show for your work. Not to mention the FRESH frozen/canned fruits/veggies we'll be able to eat throughout the winter! It's a lot of work, but I enjoy the process and enjoy spending the time with Carol, and with my grandma when we do tomatoes. That time is just as precious to me as the actual jars I end up with.
***Oh yeah, the reason I mentioned my neighbor Payton in the beginning is because of some things she said to me a week ago while at our house. She walked in, looked around at my "lived in" house and said, "This place is a mess!" Then she proceeded to point out things that were out and should've been put away! Now, I don't claim to be some master housekeeper--of wait, I did just claim to be a domestic goddess, crap--but next to Lisa, Payton's mom, I look like Peanuts' Pigpen!***
7 comments:
Oh how awesome!! I want to can food too! I made all of Gracie's baby food for the first year and a half of her life. It was so fun for me... now I can barely muster up the energy to make homemade mac and cheese. You are so awesome and those pictures are adorable
how fun! i'm quite impressed, Abby :-)
how fun! i'm quite impressed, Abby :-)
how fun! i'm quite impressed, abby ;-)
I'm glad you are enjoying canning and freezing fresh produce. That's something I'd like to do more of in the future. This week I'm making applesauce for the girls!
You are a domestic goddess~who cares if your house isn't spotless! I'm already jealous that you can do the canning and pull off all of those amazing baby products!!!
ok...i agree...you are definitely a domestic goddess for doing all of that! i'm impressed! looks like so much fall fun! :) how is ashlyn liking preschool? i need to remember to take a picture of ben with his teachers next tuesday when i take him to class! he is loving it, but the teacher has already told me (after I asked) that he needs some reminders to stay with the group as they move from activity to activity...OH...i just hope he is not the troublemaker of the class! :)
Post a Comment