Friday, July 04, 2008

She did it, she did it, she did it--HOORAY!

After thinking that we were going to have to send Ashlyn to preschool in the fall wearing diapers (they don't require the kids to be potty trained), she *suddenly* flipped the switch and decided she was done with diapers on June 11! Our neighbors who have a daughter exactly one year older than Ash (they have the same birthday!) gave us this trick to try for night-time potty training: Have her go potty before bed. Go to bed in undies. Before you go to bed--midnight or whenever--wake her up and take her to the potty then put her right back down. Sometime very early in the morning wake her up again to take her to the potty and put her right back down. Wake up for the day. Once you've been doing that for a while accident-free, drop one of the wakings. It supposedly teaches her brain to wait until she's be woken up to go potty and if she doesn't get woken up, she doesn't go. This method worked perfectly with Ashlyn! She was actually night trained before she was day trained. Weird, huh? On June 11, before her nap she and I were having a "discussion" about her wearing her undies. She wanted to wear a diaper. If you know us at all, you know that Ashlyn and I are both very stubborn, so this "discussion" was going nowhere! She actually stalked out of the room, came back, threw the diaper at me and said "No more diapers! I'm going to give them to Maguire!" So she took all of her diapers out of her dresser and threw them outside his door. Then she took her diaper champ and "gave" that to him too. Since then she hasn't looked back! Now, I won't say she hasn't had accidents, but before then, if she had an accident she'd refuse to put panties back on. She would insist on a diaper to avoid any embarassment or accidents later on. Anyway, her buddy Elizabeth across the street got potty trained just a few weeks after Ashlyn. They compare underwear and have already started going to the bathroom together--hee hee! Kristi (Elizabeth's mom) and I are quite happy to be sending the girls to preschool in the fall wearing underwear :)

9 comments:

Ben and Erin said...

Congrats! What a great accomplishment for you and Ashlyn. :) My sister is potty training my nephew right now and I know it's hard work. I thought the night training thing was interesting too(and made sense)...glad it worked! :) .It seems far off for me, but I know it'll come sooner than I think.

The Moser Fam... said...

POTTY TRAINING STINKS! :) We are trying really hard and not making much progress yet...you are inspiring me though! I just told Ben all about Ashlyn, so hopefully he will be inspired too...ha ha! WAY TO GO! Hopefully Ben will figure it out soon! Yeah for Ashlyn!

Jim, Abby, Jacob, and Bryce Stewart said...

That story is hilarious. We have a long time before we hit that phase, but I'll have to remember the night training trick. Hope you had a great 4th of July. take care-

ZFam said...

That's a great idea for the night time! Alexa is mostly trained--but still has accidents from time to time. I notice she usually has them when she's really tired. Isn't potty training such a drain? I get so excited to get to that point where I don't even have to worry about Alexa anymore...but, I'm sure by then it'll be JD's turn to get trained. URGH!!!

Anonymous said...

nice.

BJ's school charges more if they are not potty trained. thankfully we got a handle on that as well.


calvin

ZFam said...

OH, and PS...I can just hear Dora chanting your title!!=)

C Emrick said...

Congrats! We're working on this right now with Ella.

Jamie said...

This is adorable! I love that she gave her diapers away (and your picture of the big event!)

SoulTattoo said...

WOW! I so remember those days and it is like a little switch isnt it? One day, they just "get it" - Way to go Ab, I am sure Ashlyn is so proud of herself!